Organisers of illegal raves could face £10,000 fine

Organisers of illegal raves could face fines of up to £10,000 under new rules. It is part of a crackdown aimed at discouraging people from holding large scale events in breach of coronavirus guidance, ahead of the August bank holiday weekend. About 6,000 people attended raves at Daisy Nook in Oldham and in Carrington earlier this summer, as lockdown measures were eased. A 20-year-old man died of a suspected drugs overdose at Daisy Nook, while three people were stabbed and a woman was raped at the Carrington rave. Since then, police have worked to disrupt and stop further such events from taking place.

Get the latest updates from across Greater Manchester direct to your inbox with the free MEN newsletter You can sign up very simply by following the instructions here

Now the Government has announced new penalties for anyone found to be organising unlicensed events. The new rules will come into force from Friday. Anyone found to be organising illegal raves, unlicensed music events or any other unlawful gathering of 30 people or more could be fined £10,000. Those attending such events can be fined £100. Repeat offenders could see fines doubled, up to a maximum of £3,200. The Home Secretary, Priti Patel MP, said: “These gatherings are dangerous and those who organise them show a blatant disregard for the safety of others. “I am pleased the police have already stepped up their response and I am giving them the tools they need to continue to keep us safe. “We will continue to crack down on the small minority who think they are above the law.” The National Police Chiefs’ Council said that in areas including Greater Manchester, police deployment has been similar to New Year’s Eve to deal with illegal raves. Commander Ade Adelekan, the NPCC’s lead for unlicensed music events, said: “These events are hosted without regard for the safety of those attending, and police have observed cases of anti-social behaviour, sales of drugs and gang activity. “To the organisers of this sort of activity, I strongly advise that you seriously consider the risks you’re creating for everyone in attendance and the wider community. “There is a risk of prosecution for those who organise these events and equipment will be seized.”
Read More

Share this:

Related

Roma search for director of sport continues

Roma’s search for a director of sport continues, sources tell Football Italia, as Michael Emenalo and Jonas Boldt are not in the running. There had been reports in the Corriere dello Sport yesterday that former Chelsea chief Emenalo was a strong candidate…

Nightclub boss’s legal challenge against ‘nonsensical’ curfew falters

A legal challenge to the government’s 10pm curfew has hit a stumbling block today – but G-A-Y boss Jeremy Joseph says his fight to see the measure removed is not over. The owner of the legendary nightclub group claims the curfew is ‘nonsensical’ and ‘crippling hospitality’ while not stopping virus transmission. Mr Joseph, supported by…